Friday, August 14, 2009

Titles


Just a quick one as I watch the Sirs and Dames getting Sired and Damed.
The context for non-New Zealanders is this: at some years ago our government of the time replaced our British honours system with one of our own. Part of the process of building a national identity I suppose. The current government which won last years election decided to reinstate the royal titular system of knighting Sirs and Dames. They offered the individuals who had received the equivalent New Zealand honours since the change the right to be knighted. Around 60 took the opportunity. Another dozen or so decided they would rather keep their New Zealand honour.

So, today the 60 lined up and knelt before the Governor General, received the sword to their shoulders and arose Sir or Dame Someone.

I can't help feeling a little insulted. I mean, aren't these people disrespecting us a bit?
Their country has awarded them the highest honour. Well, not the Order of NZ because that's only 20 people at any given time, but the next highest. We've said (and rightly so for they are a marvelous bunch) "we honour you with our highest accolade".
And they have essentially said "No, thanks, I'll take the royal one".

I don't want to disrespect them. We hold most of these people in high esteem. They have achieved more than I ever will. They deserve to be honoured. I just can't help feeling a bit....annoyed. I want to say "What? We're not good enough for you?"

I'm probably being irrational but there you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment